Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Signed, Sealed, Delivered


Fan Letters really do work!

Like everyone else who was inspired to create their own epic list after seeing the movie, I have my very own Bucket List.
It's filled with random things I've always wanted to do (i.e. publish a book, visit/live in England, ride a camel, go skinny dipping, see the Pyramids, etc. etc. etc.)
And what was #28, you ask?
Write your first and only fan letter and hopefully get a response!

...It's alright, you can totally judge me.

Anyway, I sort of wrote two. Fan letters, that is. I didn't think the first one counted because it wasn't a letter...it was a friend request on Facebook (again, I totally understand if you judge) to my very favorite author, Karen Quinn.

I added some of her books to my info section, and lo and behold her very own Facebook account popped up! So, out of pure curiosity and impulse, I added her. I didn't think in a million years that she would ever accept my friend request, but she did!

Like every literary enthusiast, I was thrilled. Getting a response from a famous author is like being acknowledged for your talent by David Beckham when you're a little league soccer player. I've read every single one of her books ("Holly Would Dream" being my favorite) and so I decided that it wouldn't hurt to express how much I love her writing (and how I've been toying with the idea of becoming a writer myself), so I sent her a brief message expecting no reply.

But I did!!!!

Here's what she said:


Yeah, it was kind of short...but hey! I got a response! Now if only Elizabeth Taylor will write me back...

EDIT: The other fan letter pulled through!!! I sent it to a celeb and received an autographed picture and a little note jotted on a scrap piece of paper...it's not terribly noteworthy, but I was excited :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment